It is impossible to listen…
- you don’t have any questions
- while you are talking
- while you are thinking up your next response while the other person is still talking
- if the other person doesn’t have your full attention
- while you don’t actually read their words or hear all their words…skimming a comment or 50 comments on social media and then responding is unwise.
- if you are more interested in winning than a relationship
- if you are distracted
- if you don’t care about the other person
- if you have predetermined how the conversation is going to turn out and won’t stop until it gets there
- if you have to have the last word
- if you don’t believe there is a possibility they might teach you something
I am guessing on #1 there is an “if” missing on the front? In any event, a good list. It is always helpful to be reminded of the art of listening.