Let’s start this series with a couple of questions:
- what has been your experience with benevolence ministry?
- What has worked well and what has needed improvement?
- How have you balanced being discerning with compassion?
- How do you define what someone is genuinely in need of?
- Do you assess more than just financial needs?
- What kind of follow up is necessary (type, frequency, etc)?
- Do you provide financial counseling (how to budget, how to find a better job, resume prep, etc)?
- Is this solely at the discretion of the elders and deacons (e.g. you don’t need to personally help people outside your Sunday contribution because the elders have already budgeted to use some of that to help others)?
What are your thoughts?