Our 20s & 30s class is seriously considering changing the way we do Sunday school. It is not that we want less Bible study it is more that we need a time and place where we can plan to make a real difference. I am not sure how all this is going to work out yet it is still in the prayer and planning stage. So far I am thinking about making the environment more devotional in nature with time set aside each week to do something or plan something together for that week to make a difference. These things could include:
- Writing cards to visitors
- Praying for our congregation and the lost
- Getting up early and taking food to the homeless, return for worship
- Worship via singing, scripture and prayer
- Planning and coordinating service to those outside the congregation
Have any of you ever tried anything like this? If so, I would be curious to hear your feedback. One concern I have heard in the past is what do you do about visitors who show up and our class is out serving. My response is, I bet that when they see the sign on the door of where we are going and what we are doing they will probably come back as they see we are outward focused enough to do something that makes a difference.