Favorite Book of the Bible

What is your favorite book of the Bible? I am a little torn between Mark and the Romans at the moment. I love the power of story and how Mark shows Jesus as a man on a mission. In Romans I am intrigued by Paul’s logic and the way he explains so many key components of our faith. There is still so much to understand about both books it makes me hungry to read them, digest them, and let the truths contained in them be lived out. I will always be partial to the psalms, Hosea, and the Gospel of John but for now I am sticking with Mark/Romans in a dead heat.

0 Responses to Favorite Book of the Bible

1. Nick Gill says:

WOW! That’s tough.

Best Gospel – Luke
    Best Pauline Writing – Ephesians
    Best Mosaic Writing – Exodus
    Best Prophetic Writing (Long) – Isaiah
    Best Prophetic Writing (Short) – Jonah

I think that’s the best I can do.

2. Mark says:

I agree with Nick…you pretty much can’t narrow it down to just one. My favorites in the OT are Isaiah and Hosea. My NT favorite is probably James.

3. preacherman says:

I enjoy reading James, 1 &2 Timothy.
    I hope you have a great weekend brother. :-)

4. Lantz Howard says:

Romans…seems to cover the narrative of the Bible

5. mattdabbs says:

James…that right strawy epistle :)

6. Doug Young says:

Leave it to Nick to give more than just one. Nick, what’s your favorite Deuterocanonical book? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

I’m a John guy. That book changed me. It opened up a world to me that I didn’t think existed. To me, its the mortar that holds the other accounts together.

7. dove124 says:

hey guys, don’t you think you must concentrate more on the doctrine, not on specific book that you only want to read. Understand the doctrine! That is my suggestion to you all.

8. benwiles says:

Hebrews. By a mile.

Ezekiel is a distant second, followed closely by Leviticus. Luke is my favorite gospel. For Paul’s epistles, Colossians. I also have a soft spot for Obadiah.

9. Bobby Cohoon says:

Best Gospel – Matthew
    Best Pauline Writing – 1 Corinthians
    Best Mosaic Writing – Exodus
    Best Prophetic Writing (Long) – Isaiah
    Best Prophetic Writing (Short) – Habakkuk

And for Doug…..Best Deuterocanonical book- Sirach ;-)

10. I like Hebrews a lot, so that came to mind pretty quickly. I am also in love with Romans right now. This book has strengthened me and I don’t think I will ever be the same as a result.

But I think I have to go with the psalms on this one–it has completely taught me to have a better attitude in life. It has given me the confidence that God is my protection, shelter, refuge–and that He will never forsake me…even when I forsake myself. It keeps me grounded and attached to what is important in this life.

Great question!

11. nick gill says:

Best Deuterocanonical Book — Greek Esther! You can’t beat it!

12. nick gill says:

Was dove being ironical?

God didn’t give us doctrine hidden in books, like what Michelangelo saw in that block of marble that became The David.

The books ARE the doctrine. The life IS the doctrine. When we start excising doctrine out of the books, WE wrest control away from God. We set up our doctrines and, like Oz, shout, “Don’t look at the book behind the curtain!”

God didn’t give us doctrine. He gave us His Son, and His Spirit, and His Church, and Holy Scripture.

13. mattdabbs says:

I thoroughly enjoyed studying through John with N.T. Wrights “John for Everyone” as a companion.

Hebrews is a really great book as well. I haven’t done an in depth study of Hebrews or taught it in Bible classes so I am sure I have much to discover there.

I know what the burning question is and the elephant in the room. I didn’t ask it at first but it really needs to be asked. What is your favorite “letter to hellenized Christians”? or your favorite prison letter?

14. WesWoodell says:

John/Romans here

15. James because it was written by the Lord’s brother. It’s short and sweet and it gets to the point. My favorite writer is Paul hands down. I love how the book of John because it is not only a gospel but it is prophetic in relationship to the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet. When looking for comfort and words of affirmation I turn to the Psalms of David. In fact the only books in the Holy Bible that I’m not crazy about has to be the books of Numbers, Leviticus –